Tuesday 24 August 2010

banana marble cake

bananas and chocolate
banana black and white cake

I had bananas sitting nicely in my pantry, and I only had milk, flour, sugar, butter and vanilla. What should I make? Banana cake of course. So I browsed my baking books for banana cake recipe and all the recipes I found required brown sugar for banana cake. And when no brown sugar required in a recipe, it required sour cream. Both ingredients I though I don’t have.

banana black and white cake

And the quest for banana cake recipe continued, until I found Lots-of-Ways Banana Cake in Baking from my home to yours by Dorie Greenspan, fyi, have I told you that one of my future plans Is become just like Dorie? Jetting between Paris and New York, writing books about baking, baking for loved ones and sells cookies? Yeah, that’d be perfect.
Okay, anyway, yeah lots-of-ways banana cake by Dorie Greenspan, it’s the most flexible banana cake recipe, with alternatives ingredients choices. Here is what she says, “the inspiration to bake a banana cake always seems to strike when a bunch of bananas are mottling on the counter, but just because you’ve got the fruit doesn’t mean you have all the ingredients you need, which is why I created this amazingly flexible cake. No coconut? Skip it. No brown sugar? Use white. No coconut milk? Use milk, buttermilk, sour cream or yoghurt.” Isnt it the most wonderful recipe? I wish every other recipes could be this flexible. and by that time, i've found my baking bible.

So I was set on baking this recipe, I opened my cupboard to get flour only to found a bag of brown sugar, looking so pretty. Just beside my fabulous Lindt dark chocolate. There, I changed my mind. I went with my big first recipe crush, this banana black and white chocolate, simply because it involves chocolate and banana. Both my favorite. And no, I wasn’t sorry, how could you be sorry with marbled banana chocolate cake? Its moist and light at the same time, although maybe a bit short in banana flavor.

banana black and white cake

No comments: